Darkness. and Light

Imagine...
Having the "perfect birth" but not feeling connected to your babe
Imagine…
           Having lots of support and help, yet feeling alone
Imagine....
           Breastfeeding, the thing every woman is "supposed to be able to do", being so painful that tears and toe curling accompany his every cry
Imagine…
           So badly wanting to connect with your new baby, but just not sure how to get there.
Imagine…
           The thing that is supposed to connect, to bond, a mother and her child being the very thing that you hate
Imagine…
           6 weeks of blistered, bleeding, raw nipples
Imagine…
           Every time your tired eyes close imagines of self-harm flood in, Red, but knowing that there is no intention of wanting to die
Imagine…
           Feeling Crazy
Imagine…
           Being so Overwhelmed that all you can do is rock and cry
Imagine…
           Being so Exhausted that you can’t see straight
Imagine…
           Waking up in the middle of the night in a panic attacks
Imagine…
           A little boy, so loved, that he laughs in his sleep     
Imagine…
           Finding refuge in Breath
Imagine…
           Finding refuge in Water, in a bathtub
Imagine…
           Finding Courage to get support and help
Imagine…
           Finding a Determination to live…a perseverance of wellness
Imagine…
           A little boy being the very thing you
                      Live for
                      Breathe for
                      Grow for



After my community supported, perfect home birth I immediately went into trauma. I had a lot of swelling and pain. Those first few moments when a mother and her child are supposed to bond, I was flooded by physical pain. I looked at him, loved him, but thought “I have waited so long to meet you, have talked with you every day, yet now you feel like a stranger”.

And then we tried to latch, and a new pain arrived, a pain a worse than labor in some ways. My nipples were inverted and flat, making a latch very difficult. I would cringe with every latch. By 48 hours I knew we were in serious trouble and that I needed help. My nipples were zombie nipples as my husband so lovingly called them, blistered, bleeding and half gone. My little son was coughing up blood, my blood, in the middle of the night.

I called a lactation consultant to come to my home. She was a miracle worker and saved our breastfeeding relationship.

The combination of flat nipples, lip-tie, and a small babe resulted in 2 bouts of mastitis/thrush, and a depressed mom, despite this help and support we were receiving.

I told myself just one more feeding, and feeding by feeding we got through. I would literally say, I will keep breastfeeding till Friday…Today my son just turned a year and we are still breastfeeding, happily even.

Determination
Perseverance

By week 6 Postpartum Depression was sinking in and I was hitting my low. All I could do some days was cry. Every time I closed my eyes I saw red, imagines of cutting, though I have never hurt myself before. And despite these imagines, I knew at my core I didn’t want to hurt myself or worse die. But that is where my brain would go. I think a part of me so badly wanted to escape. I was scared, overwhelmed, and so badly wanted to live all at the same time.

People would ask me, “how is Lewis”?, and I would think he is fine, me… I am not ok.

Thank God I had a mother that brought me Starbucks and Friends to listen. Thank God I was too tired to care what my house looked like. Thank God my husband was patient.   

I got help because I knew it was scarier to live with these imagines than to tell someone about them. My therapist says I have a determination for wellness, and I think that determination was stronger than the fear. Turns out there is a fine line between sleep deprivation and insanity. It is a miracle that both mothers and babies live through the first 3 months!

Slowly, very Slowly, Things got better. My marriage got better. I was able to breathe. I was able to feel my feet.

I write this on the eve of my son’s first birthday.

We did it, all three of us! We survived. He Thrived.

He still nurses and he has the fat roles to prove it.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life has got to get better than this: Reflections on what I really want

When Things Fall Apart

Edgework. Seattle