Mamas need yoga. Yin Yoga.

I am starting a journey of really look at my life, my use of time, and my spiritual, mental, and physical health. I am overwhelmed. Tired all the time. Over committed. Yet have a true desire to fill the roles I have love and have chosen. Mother. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Teacher. Yoga Teacher. Mentor. Housecleaner. Cook. Reader. Gardener. Homesteader.Yogi. Blogger... the list goes on....

I find myself asking all the time.. How do people have clean houses? How do people have energy? How do people focus? How do people finish any given task? How do people function in this world of too many roles and task, and not enough time?

I am on summer break for crying outloud, yet my moments of true relaxation have been few.

I want real moments. I would to be present with the people that fill me up. I want to be surrounded by people and things that give me energy. I want feel energized and alive!

Geeta Iyengar in her book Yoga: A Gem for women says that "Motherhood is a woman's ordained duty...a divine state." and yet she also says "Women have to pay a high price physically and psychologically in their roles of mother, wife, sister, and friend...Her salvation lies in practicing asanas and pranayama (yoga)".  
 
This is a great reminder. I am a better mom with yoga. I am a better person with yoga. Without yoga, I am a mess.

I have always found sanctuary on my mat. I have often joked that yoga became my church and my therapy. Yoga saved my life in a lot of ways. Though I did (and do) still need actual therapy. I was able to relax, able to let go for the first time. And before I was a mom, I had a daily mediation practice, I went to classes every week, and I breathed. Now most days I don't have 5 min to myself. I sit down to do yoga and suddenly there is a poopy diaper that needs changed. I have tired to do yoga with him, next to him, while he is napping... you name it. I have the most success during naps. And if I choose yoga, than I don't do dishes, or laundry, or....


But moms Need YOGA. Yin Yoga.

Moms are overwhemled. Mom are overstretched and overstressed. Their brains are on overdrive. ALL THE TIME. When doing one thing, they are thinking about the next. 

So (yang) yoga (hatha, or vinyasa, or power or whatever flowly yoga you choose) builds strength, but moms are already strong. Really strong! Divine Strong! And our society is always going...non stop, not just moms. 

And I love that flow, breathe, sweat more than anyone. 

And it has a place, and it may be what moms need ( I don't actually know what anyone needs) But for me, in this time, in this day, I need more yin. I need time to shut my brain off and feeling supported by the props. To RELAX. To not think. To fold forward slowly with breathe and gravity. TO SLOW  

So I have started a journey to learn and practice yin yoga. To slow down every day even if it's only for 5 min.  

But really it's all yoga. 



****A restorative yoga, is better for the 3rd trimester and the first 12 weeks of postpartum, instead of a yin yoga do to the relaxin hormone***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life has got to get better than this: Reflections on what I really want

When Things Fall Apart

Edgework. Seattle