Birth Story Part 1: Gathering the Tribe

It takes a Tribe....
To raise a mama

I had the home-birth I wanted, and this is because the support that surrounded me. The hard work that was done.

My birth story begins way before I ever had a contractions.
Before I could even feel my baby move.

My birth team had many people.... a community.

It started with the breath.
     A daily practice.
  Mediation and yoga.  
                             Image result for om candle burning
This was my Rock throughout pregnancy and prepared my mind and body.
I taught yoga, so that I could focus on my something beyond how sick and tired I felt. This saved me (from self pity).

When I finally had energy, I started to attend prenatal yoga. These women became the first members of my birth team. The keep ups, let me know that I needed to move and breathe. That music would allow me to sink in.  My teacher had so much compassion and love, and she became so much more than a teacher. She became a friend. Her hugs are healing.

My Mid-wife. I love her calm. She allows every women to simply be. She was so patient with our questions and what if's. Our HOURS of preparing a backup hospital plan (I wouldn't have made it to the hospital if I wanted to). Bless her.

I had an amazing Healer and body worker that really help to avoid miserable. I never got to the place that I hated being pregnant, if fact I loved being pregnant (till I passed my due date). She is so much more than a massage therapist. She would lift the baby and give me relief. She gave me the gift of relaxation. She did Cranial. She gave me a safe place to cry. Was was a friend and supported all of my decisions.

I had a great chiropractor that gave me relief and freed me of sciatic pain.

We took a great independent birth class that gave us great cooping techniques. Affirmations. and knowledge to empower us to choose. We had to discuss interventions. We had to breathe. But most of all it helped us to get on the same page and communicate. 

Displaying 2014-03-21 15.39.25.jpgI had a Doula, an amazing Doula! My Doula gave me the gift of a blessingway. My women group, the deepest part of my tribe near and far, surrounded me. Love on me. We ate chocolate together. We sang Kenny Loggins. We laughed. We drummed. I healed. 
Above all, my doula trained my husband. We practiced different cooping techniques, different breathing techniques, massage. She encouraged me to let go and trust, and I did.

My Husband. He was my emotional and physical comfort. He showed up in so many ways. His gentle, patient spirit guided me, supported me. LOVED me and my big pregnant body.

Without my community, without my tribe, I would not have been able to birth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life has got to get better than this: Reflections on what I really want

When Things Fall Apart

Edgework. Seattle